Welcome!

Welcome to my blog!
This blog will be primarily aimed at innovative educational techniques but will however have the occasional post about education in general.

Monday, September 9, 2013

What is "flipped learning"?

I was recently reading some articles that I had "saved to pocket" awhile ago and ran across one about "flipped learning".  In a very brief explanation, "flipped learning" (or "flipped classroom") has the students experiencing the "lecture" part of the subject on their own outside of school.  They then come to school and spend time with the teacher working on enrichment activities.  In other words, the student does what used to be "homework" in class where they can get assistance from the teacher and "watch" the lecture at home for homework.

I know, a little confusing but on the surface this sounds like a wonderful idea.  I would love to be able to work with my physics students and help them tackle sophisticated kinematic problems, help guide them to improve their problem solving skills and no longer do any "whole group direct instruction" (read lecture).


But reality does play a part, and I do not think that I could have 100% of my students watching a video lecture the night before we tackle the problems in class.  Now I know that I don't even get 100% of my students completeing their "normal" homework right now, but for a flipped classroom to work the student must prepare for class by watching the video.

At any rate, here is a link to an article that summarizes a report.  The title of the article is "Report: The 4 Pillars of the Flipped Classroom".  The full report in PDF format can be found here "A Review of Flipped Learning".

So, what do you think?  Is your classroom "flipped"?  If so, how are you dealing with the students who do not come to class prepared?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the information. I have used your diagram.

    The link is:

    http://licmata-ebc.blogspot.mx/2014/07/5-basic-ideas-about-flipped-classroom.html

    ReplyDelete